Our entire CBU staff was challenged by our President, Kyle Bell to do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and we accepted! We feel honored to be a part of this challenge and to be able to raise money to help ALS research. Kyle himself had executed AND donated to the cause TWO TIMES and now his company followed suit! Donating after our mid-afternoon ice baths, that makes a total of THREE donations! We had to keep the momentum going so we decided to nominate our good friends over at Steve LeVine Entertainment, GiveSmart AZ, and Luis Gonzalez of the Arizona Diamondbacks! They now have 24 hours to accept our challenge! Click here to watch our challenge!
Facts you should know:
* ALS is not contagious.
* It is estimated that ALS is responsible for nearly two deaths per hundred thousand population annually.
* Approximately 5,600 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with ALS each year. The incidence of ALS is two per 100,000 people, and it is estimated that as many as 30,000 Americans may have the disease at any given time.
* Although the life expectancy of an ALS patient averages about two to five years from the time of diagnosis, this disease is variable and many people live with quality for five years and more. More than half of all patients live more than three years after diagnosis.
* About twenty percent of people with ALS live five years or more and up to ten percent will survive more than ten years and five percent will live 20 years. There are people in whom ALS has stopped progressing and a small number of people in whom the symptoms of ALS reversed.
* ALS occurs throughout the world with no racial, ethnic or socioeconomic boundaries.
* ALS can strike anyone.
If you’d like more information or want to donate to the cause yourself, click here!